Thursday 11 April 2013

Work now feels like school

Today's article was inspired by my visit to York University yesterday and having a new employee start at work today.

Having been at York University for 4 years, it really became a second... and third home. Having started at the Glendon Campus during my first year and then eventually taking more and more classes at the main campus, I really began to immerse and invest myself in the university.... 3 years after graduating, York feels like a stranger. As some of you know, I have a tutoring/editing side job, so this time, I made the trek up to the main campus to edit a student's paper. I proceeded to go to the Village to park my car. To my disbelief, you cannot park for more than an hour... Oh city of Toronto, you just had to catch on.. No more free parking. I would just like to point out, this is where I parked for free, the entire time I went to York (I only got... 2 tickets in that period of time, which is downright awesome). So, I proceeded to the parking garage, whatever, no big deal, sometimes when I was lazy went to York I would park there. Then, I proceeded to walk over to Scott library. Walking through the campus, through Accolade West (where I spent a lot of my time), and  I left like I was walking in to a foreign area... I felt like an outsider. Surrounding by people I didn't know, people who were much younger than me, and an area that has been revamped.

When I used to walk into the York campus, a sense of ease, comfort, and energy came over me. Simply put, I felt at home. Whether it was the main campus or Glendon, the feeling was the same. Now, it's the opposite.

That feeling I used to get at York, I now get at CAMH. Walking in to 175 or even Russell, I feel pretty at home. But, it takes awhile to feel like that. I started at 175 in July and it's only been since December, that I feel this way... So, it's interesting when we get a new employee in our department because starting a new job is never easy, you never know what type of situation you are walking in to. I've been told that the TEACH team is a tightknit group, which is true. I've been told that it's hard to break into our group, but I don't really feel that way. Hopefully our new employee, Parizad, enjoys working with us and with TEACH. And I truly hope she feels at home eventually here as well.

On a work related note, some of us are joining a group and doing CAMH's health month challenges. In May, we will begin accumulating points for working out, healthy eating, drinking water, and basically doing anything good for our health. I'm really looking forward to it :-)

That's it for today. Happy Thursday... Thursday means tomorrow is Friday! WOOHOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment