Friday 26 April 2013

Yoga

Sometimes I find hard to come up with ideas of what I want to write about.... Since today is Friday, meaning tomorrow is Saturday, I thought I would write about yoga. Now you must be asking, so what if it's Friday? What does that have to do with Yoga? Well, let me tell you! On Saturdays, I am an "EE" at the Yoga Sanctuary. What kind of ridiculous awesome title is EE? Well, it stands for Energy Exchange, however, I guess on Saturdays I would be an Energy Exchanger... (Okay that sounds a little ridiculous...) That's besides the point, the point is, Saturday means being immersed in yoga!

The Yoga Sanctuary at Danforth and Broadview is really gorgeous (I am not being biased.. even though I kind of work there).

The main studio brings in a lot of natural light and has a nice space to practise your yoga.


When I was completing my undergraduate degree at York, I tried yoga for the first time. I found it relaxing yet still challenging. It really did evoke an inner calmness in me which I had never really felt any other time than running (which I have stopped because of my knee). Having had so much time, I ended up practising basically 4-5 times a week (on top of my usual gym/exercise routines). It was a great compliment to cardio and strength training. Continuing this for over a year, I was able to get in to poses I never thought possible.

These are some examples:





Now I can't say that I have kept it up at the same rate. Unfortunately, when I moved to Winnipeg, I wasn't too good about yoga very often, but now I can say that it is a part of my exercise routine and I thoroughly enjoy practising. Now, let's be honest, I can't do all of the same things I used to be able to do when I was going so often, but I can do some. Seeing your progress over time is so encouraging.

So now I practise at the Yoga Sanctuary on the Danforth which has some amazing instructors and a welcoming environment... and you may also see me working at the desk on Saturdays.

So even if you think yoga isn't for you, go out and try it.. because it may surprise you... it sure surprised me.


1 comment:

  1. I've never done yoga before but might have to give it a try! I hear nothing but great things about it!

    ReplyDelete